Actions to take with a Gas Leak
Identifying a gas leak can be tricky. If you suspect a gas leak turn off the source immediately. You may want to call the A gas leak can cause an explosion and fire to your property. . You should never light a match or turn on any electrical switches in the vicinity of a suspected gas leak.
Identify the source of the leak.
If you suspect a gas leak, the first step is to identify the source of the leak and avoid it. If you smell gas, get out of the building immediately. If you hear a hissing sound, it's likely that there is a natural gas leak in your home or business.
Do not light a match.
Do not light a match or turn on any electrical switches in the vicinity of the leak. The ignition of natural gas is extremely dangerous and can result in an explosion that could cause serious injury or death. If you suspect you have detected a gas leak, leave immediately and contact emergency services from outside your home or office building.
Basement and crawl spaces.
Because natural gas is heavier than air, it tends to settle in low spots like basements and crawl spaces where there are cracks in foundations, making these areas more likely places where leaks can occur. This means that if there's a leaking pipe underfoot while walking through those areas inside a house then this could cause serious injury if someone steps on it accidentally while going about their daily routine without knowing anything was wrong beforehand.
Never attempt to turn off gas by yourself if there's an odor in your home, follow the gas company's emergency procedures and wait for them to arrive before entering your home again.
Although natural gas is a safe and efficient fuel source for your home, it can be dangerous if not handled properly. If you suspect a gas leak in your home or business, act quickly by following these steps. If your in need of professional help give SERVPRO a call immediately.